Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"1, 2, 3! Eyes on me!"



I love teaching Special Education. It is a privilege to be around the most adorable, well-behaved and loving kids all day. Now if that last description was always true, there wouldn't be 100% job placement in this field. Realistically it is a privilege to be around the loudest, most disruptive and hilarious kids all day. And I actually prefer that even more. This semester I'm finishing up my degree and am student teaching in an elementary school. Every day is filled with surprises like you wouldn't believe! Students running away, biting, screaming, potty accidents - you name it, we've got it. And I wouldn't trade these kids for the world. I cried the other day when I realized the semester is 1/2 way over already and I'll have to say goodbye! To help manage the classroom and student's behavior, I made these cute little picture schedule trackers.

They earn a "sticker" or an "X" for each activity depending on their behavior. Each schedule is color-coded and has the student's name and picture on the front. I wish I could post that picture because then you could see how absolutely adorable they all are. But that's a breach in confidentiality... so just imagine a whole bunch of cute little 5, 6 and 7-year old faces on the front.
Now, for a story . . . On Friday I was working with a student who likes to complain and say, "This is too hard! Miss Karli this is way too hard!" Every time he'd say this, I turn away and ignore him and say, "When you're ready to work on your numbers, you can sit up and say, 'I'm ready to try my numbers now Miss Karli.' " This worked well and he got all of his work done and earned his sticker. When he was finished, I tried to have a little heart-to-heart and explain that it will always be hard if he complains and says it's going to be hard. While I was explaining this, he looked at me, pulling out the skin on his face and said, "Our cheeks is made of skin!" I tried to hold it together but just burst out laughing and said, "Yes, yes they are." I love my job. I wouldn't want to be doing anything different!
~ Karli Harvey



No comments:

Post a Comment